Breakfast at Tiffany’s

My first read for the New Year is over. I had actually begun to re-read “The Brothers Karamazov” but those plans were laid to rest. After reading four hundred pages I noticed the glue on the book binding giving way, and being that I am unwilling to loose a really nice hard back book I put it aside for “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”

“Breakfast at Tiffany’s” is a short read that will take any person only a few hours to read. This short novel is only 106 pgs long and really well written. For this book in my opinion the only thing good about it is the writing style. Capote does an excellent job at painting pictures of the 1943 New York landscape. There were however several qualms I had with the book. First it’s about a “loose moral” woman and her fickle nature, in and of itself an okay theme…when the story’s going somewhere. The second problem I had is two fold one of the reoccurring themes is how poor the writer (who tells the story) is. It doesn’t go into depth but frankly I’m a bit tired of starving artist pushing there wares type of stories. The second issue I had is with the fact that it again contains major portions where it is basically rich people complaining about life. Frankly if you’re rich and complaining about life, I don’t want to hear about it. If your rich and haven’t figured out by your mid thirties (and in my opinion I’m being generous here) what life is about than I don’t really know what to say to you. It would be like Paris Hilton complaining that she had to get up to tell the maid what to do, stop whining no one cares.

Now the question may be asked of me why did I read this book then. First off its apart of the Modern Library series, a series that I have dedicated myself to reading the entirety of, all 150 books in it. The second is that this book is popular with a lot of people and I have a desire to know what people are talking about, so now when I say in my opinion the story is complete rubbish I can mean it. Hopefully my reading will get better as the year goes on, usually I start with a really good book, in the end this book gets 3 out of 5 from me, because of brevity and writing style.

Comments

Harsh! I think you may be judging this "classic" (it's not Capote's best work) by 21st century standards.

Incidentally, the movie changes several pieces of the novella...the movie is better.

But neither is as good as The Brothers Karamozov; pick that one up again!
wes said…
I am admittedly harsh when I critiqe a book. Part of the reason I did read it because I've heard so much about he movie, its now on my netfilx list. I wish I could pick up the Brothers Karamozov again but that will have to wait until I can buy a cheap paper back copy. I really liked that novel before, so I will definatly re-read the whole thing agian.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer