Initial Disclaimer/Intent

I have decided before I begin to post on United Methodist Doctrine I should layout some ground rules on the nature of these posts. My intent is that the only quotes to be in this writing series will be from the 2004 Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church (BOD). Whatever I write in comment to the articles is not a reflection of the United Methodist Church (UMC). The statements will be wholly my own.

The comments that I will be giving will prayerfully reflect several aspects of my self. My intent is for the comments to reflect my previous convictions, my struggle from the past into where I am currently with the particular doctrine being discussed. The current status of these doctrines within me will reflect a momentary snapshot. Being that I am human that translates to, “some days I have more faith than other day’s.” I intend not to say anything that I will regret but you never know what life will throw at you, hence this disclaimer. I reserve the right to change my mind and update it at a later time I am constantly in the process of growing and understanding my relationship with Christ and because that relationship is static it will change.

Because of the nature of these posts I am also going to give some guidelines for people posting comments. These guidelines are only to be explicitly held in regard to this series, though they would be helpful for other discussions on this blog. Derogatory comments will not be tolerated. You are welcome to struggle with the doctrines as well but automatically claiming them as false with no struggle contained within the post will get your comment deleted. Also you may comment on my struggle but remember what I said above about it being a journey, if you are unable to acknowledge your own doubts and fears, I will feel sorry for your lack of ability to grow and I will pray that you will being to grow by engaging in dialogue with me. However if you want to blast me because of my doubts and fears that I may express, your posts will be deleted. Also remember that my comments are reflective of me and where I am at, I cannot stress this particular point enough, they are not to be taken as authoritative on UMC doctrine, just reflections of someone in the process of becoming a minister. If anything I say you disagree with please post and I will get back to you as soon as possible. I welcome people pushing me to clarify myself or to see things in a new or different light, it is difficult for people to offend me (that doesn’t mean you can’t piss me off).

I promise to not delete post because you disagree with me. I will also strive to keep to the rules that I am laying out here. I find it helpful to have some guidelines so that I can get the most out of this activity, and these guidelines only apply particularly to the post on UMC doctrine. You will notice though that these guidelines I have laid out are not that different than the ones I normally operate on, I’ve just never made them clear and do so with hopes of much conversation. I must also state that all of these doctrines are worthy of massive tomes of writing. I am in seminary with a family and a job, my post unfortunately will not be that detailed, but I believe that will provide a way for constant dialogue and who knows, maybe even future posts.

Comments

Nice to see Steelers fans outside of western PA! May God bless you, your family & your ministry!
wes said…
Thanks, I wouldn't dream of being an Eagles fan. I've been for Steelers since 9th grade, not to mention it drives my in-laws nuts:)

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer