Mac and Cheeze

Sometimes being poor pays off. The bane of the modern household is what to do with leftovers. I'll admit it, we don't do as good with them as we should. When we first got married we only knew how to cook for 5 people so there was tons of leftovers. Then we reached the point where I could make just enough for the two of us so that there was nothing left unless we intended it i.e. pizza the breakfast of champions. Then we had Olivia, you can never tell how much you need. Sometimes you make something and she just doesn't eat much, other times you are feeding her all the scraps from bowl. So needless to say our leftover production has gone up.

The benefit of being poor in relation to food is that you get very creative with what you have in the cupboard. Tonights meal was Mac and Cheese but not just any Mac, oh no, this was home made. With cheese sauce, whole wheat pasta, extra Monteray jack cheese and a few special things. Mac and Cheese has earned the name of refrigerator Velcro here. Tonight I chopped up a left over roast that we had last night, sauted the pieces in a little Olive Oil and then put a pact of taco seasoning on them. I then mixed this into the Mac. The Mac was then topped with leftover cornbread that I made Olivia and I for lunch. This whole thing was thrown into the oven for half an hour to crust up the top.

Needless to say all of us at the entire meal, there were no leftovers tonight. I'm filing that recipe in my memory for future use. I guess at the moment the lesson from this is don't take your food for granted...and always play with your food.

Comments

Art said…
Hey, that actually sounds pretty good!
wes said…
hard to believe, but it was :)
Anonymous said…
It does sound good ... :)
Anonymous said…
I'm still at easy-mac with 2 tbsp of ketchup.
wes said…
I can't do the easy-mac, the ketchup...pass the bottle please. I never eat any mac and cheese without ketchup, my wife thought I was the weirdest person in the world when we first got married because of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer