Mysticism

I have been watching a discussion over on Locust and Honey on communion. I haven't posted a comment or reply there because I don't agree with the majority of the comments that are being posted. I decided however to write on some of my thoughts and concerns about the discussion. If I am understanding right the discussion is really about what happens with the elements at the time of blessing, this has then led to discussion on who can serve communion as well as the blessing of the elements for shut ins and so on. Now to clear this up right away, I personally feel that anyone can serve communion, and that elders should not be fighting to make the list of who can bless the elements and serve them more exclusive. However I have a very high view of communion, I do believe that when the elements are blessed that they are no longer just bread and wine(grape juice). I also believe it does matter what we do with the remainder of the elements, we can't just throw them in the trash.

Now I know that this has not been the discussion but the part that I've been concerned about is have we lost our mysticism? It seems to me that people would rather take communion on a symbolic level because its easier to explain rather than show yourself as being at odds with any form of modernity. I guess what it comes down to is that I am not trying to explain my beliefs for the scientific part of me, I am willing to allow Christ to work in through these elements differently than I would think things should work in the world. (I am not claiming that people don't believe this, I am just stating it for my own self clarification.) Our faith is a mystical one, and this extends well beyond the discussion of Communion to how we view the world.

I grew up loving mythical writings, fables, tall tales, and fairy tales. And personally where I find myself now is looking at the way we talk about our faith and fight over doctrinal issues and saying we could learn a few things from the people who wrote these stories. If the world is crafted by God on all levels of its existence we have to believe that there are some surprises that we just can't explain and yes even these surprises happen in our doctrine. My personal preference when it comes down to communion is that we have people trained to bless and distribute it. It is a precious thing, and while I believe anyone should be able to bless the elements, I personally just need to know that they have done their homework. I just truly hope we haven't lost touch with the mystical or else all our doctrinal discussion will truly be in vain, it will just be a scientific discussion not a faith discussion.

Comments

Art said…
Well said, Wes.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer