Book Post

Its now time for my annual book post. Every year that I've had a blog I've done this, post my total number of pages for the year, the averages, and my pics for best books. I don't think I've ever really explained this, but I started this in 2004 after remembering what my high school English teacher said, that we should keep track and notes of the books we read for easy reference. So I put the month read, author, title, pages I read in the book, and a quick word reference as well as occasional notes when I deem necessary. So here goes,
2007 numbers -
11,788 pages for the year
982.33 pages per month
245.58 pages per week
10.23 pages per day
2008 numbers -
12,954 pages for the year
1,079.50 pages per month
268.88 pages per week
38.55 pages per day
This is actually the highest amount I've had since 2004, 2004 was the year I graduated from college and started seminary and the page amount that year was 20,626 we'll see if I ever get that high again.
I figure this year I will give categories first up:
Fantasy - This year my recommendation is the Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien. I tried to read this book in high school an failed miserably, this is a fantastic read for any LOTR's fan.
History - My recommendation in this category is A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage, this book was excellent, granted it doesn't go into increadable depth but did provide a wealth of knowledge and plenty of thought provoking ideas.
Church - Sabbath in the City, see the prior post on this farther down.
Commentary - Revelation by John R. Yeatts, this is from the Believers Church Bible Commentary series, which is an Anabaptist publication, this commentary has been excellent and for a person like me who has pretty much abandoned the conservative vrs. liberal discussion this commentary strikes quite a nice balance.
So there are my picks, yes there are many more worth mentioning but these are what I'm going to stand by or this post would be far to long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer