Post I've been dreading

This is a difficult post for me. This past week Olivia had a dr's appointment to test her hearing. Hearing loss is hereditary in my family, my mom has it, my older brother and myself both had hearing loss. When my brothers kids were born, and as they have grown up they have been repeatedly tested for hearing problems and all of the tests have been good, none of them have hearing loss. This week at Olivia's Drs appointment we found out that she has moderate hearing loss. To give you an idea I have severe hearing loss. Profound hearing loss is completely no hearing. Olivia will have to wear hearing aids her entire life.
Now I want to make it clear, I love my daughter tremendously, and that love has not diminished. And hearing loss is not the end of the world. I've had hearing loss my whole life and I think I turned out pretty good. But there will be struggles she will have, things she will have to over come. She will learn that people are not as accepting as they pretend. And unfortunately she will learn that there are no groups she will fit in with when you talk about discrimination (I've posted before on this issue). But now our world is changing here at home, we are trying to figure out if there is any way to afford hearing aids, and what that will look like. We are praying that all of this will be solved. My prayer is that she never has people stand in her way. The thing is I'll be man enough to say what I feel right now, I'm hopeful because of the way my life turned out, but I'm also scared because of the way people can treat people who are different. Nothing to do now but to love and pray.

Comments

Beth Quick said…
I'm so sorry Olivia will have to deal with such a challenge, because yes, people are not as accepting as they say, and difference in elementary school is always a challenge. But I will pray that she will find true friends and encouragers in the years ahead.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer