2009 Reading in Review

One of the only traditions I've managed to keep on this blog is my yearly post of my reading amounts. This year I read, 11,779 pages, certainly not the most since I started keeping track in 2004 but overall not to bad of a year. That number averages out to 981.58 pgs per month, 245.39 per week, and 35.05 per day. One thing I noticed in this years list is that I can see the flow of where I've been reading this year much more noticeably. For instance at the beginning of the year I have several books marked as excellent such as "Not Your Parents Offering Plate" by J. Clif Christopher, and "Sticky Church" by Larry Osborne. Both are excellent books in their own right, but when I reflect on the year these two books were excellent particularly because they were dealing with issues I was and continue to work on in my church. I also noticed that my reading list is far less eclectic than all of the other years. This is something that has greatly concerned me, I do so much reading for work that reading has become less of a relaxer for me than it used to. I hope to resolve this issue in a couple of different ways. For one I have decided to join the digital reading world with the purchase of a Barnes and Noble Nook. I've compared all of the ereaders out there and it was the only one I took a liking to. I'm hoping this will help me do more recreational reading for several reasons. For one the books are cheaper. Also being a Methodist minister I can look forward to moving several times in my ministerial career and if you haven't moved 15-20 boxes of books (which is what I currently do) you can't believe the stress relief that carrying an ebook with most of your library on it could do.
Hopefully this year will be better on the reading score, I do plan on posting here soon about what I am currently engaged in as my R&R from work, and the plans I have for my "new" hobby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer