Nook

Well here is my update on the Barnes and Noble Nook. I will not be getting rid of it. I really do like it.
The Pros -
1. The buttons are well place and not overly sensitive. I haven't had to many problems with random page flipping.
2. Its fairly easy to use and figure out. The buttons on the touch screen are fairly intuitive for what you want to do, you don't have to second guess.
3. It is very easy to get books, maybe even to easy :)
Cons -
1. Google books - I thought this would be a really big plus, but while some of them are great its often hard to distinguish if the book is in English or not. I've gotten some french books that way.
2. You can't delete a book you can only archive it. The problem with this is I've gotten a couple of samples (which is another great feature) but I can't get rid of the sample, I've got to archive it to get it to disappear.
Suggestions/helpful comments -
1. The touch screen takes some getting used to, its not as responsive as my ipod touch. That being said I understand why it can't be to sensitive. In the two full sized books I've read so far there have been times where I've been engaged by the book that my hand hits the touch screen and it turns on. Typically this doesn't happen.
2. There are very few instructions that come with the Nook. It took some time for me to figure out how to put my own pictures on it for the screen saver. Also it only reads MP3's which is annoying because I don't have the ability to create MP3's. (But I didn't buy it for the music)
3. Weight, its not a bad size but your hands will get tired, particularly because unlike a paper back your not changing where your hands are that much to turn pages.
4. If you buy a Nook make sure you check the free book selection at Barns and Noble .com often. I've found several good reads that way, the free books can be a little deceptive because some are very short (50-100 pages). So far I've loaded enough free books to keep me busy for a while.

Overall I think the Nook was a smart purchase for me. I've played with the Sony ereader, the books were to expensive to make the purchase worthwhile. Also the buttons and interface weren't that clever or in my opinion helpful. I looked at the Amazon Kindle, but if you can't play with it before buying I have no interest especially when it concerns technology. I never thought I would like an ereader but this is certainly worth it if you are an avid reader. I'll post more about the ereader in the future if I run into any problems, but don't expect me to get ride of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer