Theme Song

Recently because of hours being cut at Lenscrafters (which is where I work) I've had to find another job. The job that I landed was actually on Lancaster campus painting hallway's in the apartment buildings. I have never been one to look down my nose at what may seem a menial task so as alwasy I began looking for the positive in spending 12-14 hours a week painting. What I decided to do is use the time while painting to listen to music (on my wonderful ipod that my wife got me for my first fathers day) and take the time to think and reflect. Now I do think of serious and important things while painting but today I found myself wondering if my life was made into a film what would be the various songs that are played.

The reason I thought of this is because I was listening to the Beatles, one of my most favorite groups, and I just began to wonder what would my sound track be and of course with that what would be my theme song. This I feel has also developed out of working over my CMR (Critical Ministry Reflection) and seeing where things fit. If the sound track had twelve songs on it (unfortunatly not a lot of sound tracks actually do this) here is the list.

1. When All of God's Children Get Home (the Gaither Band, this would be represenative of my younger years)

2. Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks, my middle school years)

3. A Little Help from My Friends (Beatles "Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band," high school years)

4. Imagin (John Lennon, this was my best friends song, when she passed away it helped me process my grief)

5. Wedding Song (Jonathan Hall, yes I actually wrote this song for my wife when we got married. I risked making her upset by having a member of my fathers congregation perform the song as a suprise during our service.)

6. Beautiful Day (U2, this helped me through the grief of loosing my friend to see the value of life)

7. Walk On (U2, as I began to grow in understanding my grief this song helped me to process that grief even more.)

8. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (U2, notice a pattern?, because of my experiences I began to deconstruct my world view and realized what this song has to say.)

9. Joy of Life/Trout in the Bath (The Corrs, this rendition of Irish Folk music I think helps to express my joy and happiness during the time of waiting for my daughter to be born)

10. Mirical Drug (U2, with this song I found new hope in the future and I hope to use it to express that hope with my daughter.)

11. Fire and Rain (James Taylor, this song has always struck a cord with me, not only around all the deaths of close friends and relatives I've experienced but its a heart felt plea for living today and now.)

12. Given to Fly (Pearl Jam, only recently have I gotten into Pearl Jam and I feel that they are in some way going to be influential in my thought as I go forward. I picked this song because I saw it performed by Pearl Jam on tv in reaction to the hurricane Katrina catastrophe.)

When I look at all of these songs I know its the song "Still Haven't found What I'm Looking for" would be my theme song. The sad thing is I thought of all of this while I was painting for 3 hours but I do belive that the music we listen to reflects something about who we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer