Hobby

Well I've been struggling a little bit here lately with something I new I would be. I have been searching for ways to relax and escape church stuff. My biggest hobby in the past has been reading and it still is the biggest. The problem with reading is that all books are potential sermon illustrations, or book studies. So it is relaxing but I find mentally I'm not really getting away from work. My other big hobby is cooking, which is still up there except you need a lot of money to keep cooking as a hobby. So I kept thinking and looking, I've come up with a few more hobby options, one is woodworking. I always liked woodworking but could never afford the tools (still can't) nor did I have the time. I am hopefully going to be able to buy some tools in the next few months and get started, so obviously this is a slow and gradual hobby.
The other hobby I've really started to get into is genealogical research. I have never been able to piece together all of my families history, so I called my grandfather and started to talk. What I've been able to find out so far is that my grandfather can trace back five generation. Our family was from Virginia, and the three original farms in Virginia are still in the family. The first Hall's (the ones that I'm a descendant from) came from England (mans side) and the Netherlands (woman's side). I haven't learned their names yet, so there's a lot of connecting the dots to do on that side. Of course I then need to do my grand mothers a little bit. I then want to trace my mothers side of the family which will be the hardest.
So anyone have another suggestion for hobbies? Or how do you try to relax and get away from work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer