Sabbath in the City



I just recently finished the book "Sabbath in the City" by Dryan P. Stone and Claire E. Wolfteich and what a refreshing read. It was refreshing because the areas that this book recommends for Pastors in urban areas to work on have been areas that I have already identified in my own life that I need to work on. It was amazing (even though it shouldn't have been) how much I have in common with many of the other pastors that serve in urban parishes. I have been coming to grips with being an urban pastor. That is being a pastor in the third largest city in Pa. I've never shunned urban ministry, but I have never had to identify myself as an urban pastor, its a perspective change.

Personally I think this is a must read book. So much so that I believe I will be re-reading it in the near future so that I can be reminded to take a sabbath, and put sabbath practices front and center in my life and ministry. As you can tell I highly recommend this book to anyone, including those not in an urban parish setting, there are principles contained in this book that cut across divides. Another important note is that I appreciated this books willingness to criticize seminary education as one that doesn't encourage sabbath practices. Its a very insightful critique that if seminaries actually listen to it might actually change the pastor burn out rate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vincent Van Gogh

Stewardship Prayer

School Update