Memes: Evolutionary Godsend or our Death?

In the book Lucifer Principal Author Howard Bloom goes into some basic thoughts on the presence of ‘evil’ in the world and how what is perceived to be evil is in a lot of cases evolutionary necessity. While he was speaking on evil he also spoke on the concept of memes and their preeminence in the evolutionary structure of today. No longer is evolution entirely decided on the basis of genetic sufficiency but on the perceived meme. (Evidence for this can be seen in numerous marriages today, even my own being that I am genetically partly deaf but still married. I can say that my wife didn’t marry me for my genetic perfection, being that I am not genetically perfect, so why did she marry me? That is a meme working to see past the genetic insufficiencies.) When the concept of competing memes is taken into account you begin to see their workings on an everyday scale.

There are currently two memes today that are influencing every aspect of our lives as well as the evolutionary trend of our societies. These memes are perhaps the most dangerous ones to exist. The reason that they can be considered to be the most dangerous is partly due to the fact of what they are doing today but also due to the fact that they have lasted a long time and proved their deadliness. The two memes are Christianity and Islam. These two memes are controlling the evolutionary fluctuation of nations and society as I write this. They have attacked each other countless times over history, but they also seem to have an uncanny way of disguising themselves behind flimsy pretexts. In Christianity there seems to be groups who push for peace, however they push for peace at the expense of other cultures. In Islam there are many people who try to veneer Islam in a garb of peace saying that it is not antagonistic toward the west or to Christianity, but that in itself is just as much of a lie as what we hear from Christianity.

Both of these memes are in a life and death struggle and you and I my friends are the lucky ones who get to see the latest developments of this. On both sides of the front there are groups who would like to flat out kill each other. These people are not the dangerous ones; it is the ones who disguise themselves in peace that are the dangerous ones. It is the ones who vie for peace but want it by the others accepting what they believe.

So what are the memes that are worth while? Honestly I am not really sure; I would say faith, hope, and love. But until these concepts are developed in mass scale like the two memes above there is really no hope for the future. The two memes above have the potential to destroy us all. Can that be changed? I hope so…but I can tell you one thing I honestly don’t think it was in our best interest that evolution started selection based upon memes. If anything, I think it may be our death.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer