Humanist Manifesto 1 C

Holding an organic view of life, humanists find that the traditional dualism of mind and body must be rejected.

I agree with this statment in general, the only question I have is what about an afterlife. I am assuming that this statment is ment to exclude the possibity of an afterlife due to the fact that because mind and body are one there can be no separation of them after death therefore when we die we die. I can and do agree with this because I have no evidence that says there is an afterlife inwhich people have to look forward to, also I do know of the scientific evidence in how a blow to the head can change a persons personality, thus does it change them? Also that when there is no mental funcitoning then there isn't a personality as we would see or describe it. While I agree with all of this I still tenaciously hold onto my own faith in an afterlife. While I would not teach on this nor have a qualifiying factor inorder to get into this afterlife the only evidence I have is my own faith. This may seem fool hardy to some but I allow it to be my own personal quark. I don't know if that would exclude me from being a religious humanist or not.

-----------------------------------------------

In other news my whole schedual has been thrown off today because Katie and Olivia are home on account of Columbus day. But I'm doing as well as I can for staying on top of things.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it would probably exclude you from being a humanist, but you would be absolutley free to consider yourself a religious/Christian humanist.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer