A Change in Church

It amazes me how much I still need to learn. Actually it amazes me more that I can watch a program on TV or have a conversation with my 13 month old daughter, a conversation that she obviously completely understands, and still not know really anything.

What brought this on in me is that I was watching a science channel program “What the Ancients Knew.” If you haven’t seen this programming it is excellent, in some cases giving new information in others showing the interconnectedness of culture. As I was watching this programming I began to think how the ancient thinkers blended science, religion, myth, and everyday life into a complicated eco-system within their lives. Being who I am I was particularly struck by the part religion and the thirst for a place in the universe plays in all of this.

Unfortunately today the church as a whole doesn’t seem to expect anything of this sort from their ministers (bear with me I know there are exceptions). I’m not harkening that ministers should be scientist as well (although it couldn’t hurt). The church as a whole seems to have relegated the role of the minister to a counselor, a person who deals with others troubles. Or as society some times paints them, tricksters and people you would be best not to trust. Even in my own tradition John Wesley dabbled in medicine, of course some of the results were just old wives tales while others that were borrowed from credible sources would go on to be further developed to help people.

It is my belief that we as society need ministers who can take in a broad system of thought and bring it to practical conclusions in peoples lives. This may mean dabbling as a scientist, historian, psychologist (licensed of course), or who knows what else. I am proud to say that in my time in undergrad and seminary I believe I have encountered people who are attempting to move in this direction. I can only hope and pray that we will all be able to contribute greatness not just to God, but to humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer