Gender and the Social Gospel

Since all of my classes need the assignments turned in by the end of April and it’s our week off for Holy Week I have written all my papers. Because of this I can now go back to writing book reviews and writing about the Articles of Religion as well as whatever else is available.

Of course for class I have read several books in their integrity (I actually have only 3 left to read). So I am going to begin to write some reviews on these particular books. Now I will admit my bias, especially the fact that the majority of the books I read I had an extreme dislike for. I will be honest and say when I dislike something and also the things I like.

For our first book we are looking at “Gender and the Social Gospel,” this is a collection of articles edited by Wendy J Deichmann Edwards, and Carolyn De Swarte Gifford. I admired the intent of this book. All the articles were to be aimed at giving the reader a more up close and personal look at various female social gospel advocates. The majority of the articles were well written, yet in the same breath many were disappointing.

My experience has made more of the female social gospel names more prominent i.e. Dorothy Day. I had never heard of quite a number of the men that these articles mentioned. That was actually one of the problems I had with the articles. I heard more men’s names than women’s. And a number of articles barely even mentioned the women they were supposedly written about.

Over all I give this book 3 out of five. It scored in the middle because of the detractors that I mentioned above. The only reason that it didn’t score lower is because of the intent of the book.

Comments

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Most of the books of this sort I read in seminary were more political than theological (though there is a connection between the two, obviously). Some are good. But most tend to be unconvincing and, in my view, pretty hateful.
wes said…
Thats what I have noticed, especially for this particular class. In fact thats part of the reason why I have decided to not review most of the other books, I'm not in the right spirit to be fair to them even when they are not fair to others.

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer