Nostalgic

There are a few times every year when I get a bit nostalgic. One of the primary times is when I make potato soup every year. Now I posted on this I think two years ago, but some things bear further reflection. Potato soup is one of the few meals that have been with Katie and I since we first got married. It is a family recipe, which of course gets adjusted and changed a little every time we make it. I was really thinking about the potato soup when I was making it because it is the type of food that fits in well with an economic regression.

The whole premise of the dish is that it is hearty and fills you up. Everything that goes into it is cheap with the most expensive item being the bacon. However when you have the most expensive item you use every portion of it. Now this is not a low cal or low fat food, you cook the bacon, and then use the bacon grease to cook the onions and potatoes. Nothing goes to wast and that is important, you don't peel the potatoes you just dice them skin and all into the pan. Two hard boiled eggs, some chicken broth (if you can afford it, water will do just fine as well) milk, salt and pepper to taste, and you've poor man work'in food. I fell into wanting all the latest culinary foods to try but what I keep coming back to is these simple Pa dutch recipes that feed you completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ortega: "Man Has No Nature"

Theology vs. Scripture

Stewardship Prayer